Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Love is in the Air

Hello! Today's project is a shaker card.  I was inspired by the Rose Gold embossing powder on the heart banner die cut.  The pinky gold tone against background had such a vintage vibe and the card began to come together almost on it's own! I love it when that happens!

Supplies:
Neenah Solar White 110 lb carstock
Tim Holtz Postale Tissue Wrap
DCWV Foiled Vellum
Doodlebug Black Velvet cardstock
Avery Elle Stamp Pocket
WRMK Fuse Tool
WRMK Next Generation 3D "Woven" Embossing Folder
Simon Says Stamp "Heart Banner" and "love" dies
Ranger Matte Medium
Distress Ink in Spun Sugar, Tattered Rose and Picked Raspberry
Tombow Mono Multi glue
VersaMark Ink
Stampendous Rose Gold Embossing Powder
Scor-tape- 1/8" and 1/4" wide
Recollections "Bling on a Roll"
Design Creative Bling Sequin Mix in Raspberry Crush
Little Things sequin mix in Warm Golden Glow
3M Foam tape

Step 1.  Starting with a panel of Neenah white cardstock cut to 4.25 by 5.5, cut a piece of tissue wrap big enough to cover the panel and tear a few edges to add to the vintage feel.  Adhere with matte medium and let dry completely.  I gave mine about an hour.  You'll also need a top folding card base.  I use the same Neenah, cut to 4.25 by 11, then folded at 5.5. 
Step 2.  Once dry, position the heart banner die to the middle left of the panel,  being careful to leave enough of an edge to add foam tape.  We'll be adding the shaker pouch and will need room for the foam tape.  Run it through the die cutting machine.  Separate the pieces from the die cut; we want the outline.  Using scratch paper, press the VersaMark pad over the die cut so that you have good coverage of ink.  (It's a clear, sticky ink so you wont really see it, but it will look wet in the light.)  Over a clean piece of paper, cover with embossing powder.  Pour the excess powder back into the jar and put the lid on.  Heat set the powder; you'll know when it's melted because it turned from powdery to shiny and metallic.  Set aside.  Run the love die with a piece of black velvet cardstock through the die cut machine.  Set aside.
Step 3.  Place the panel in the embossing folder and run it through the die cutting machine.   It's now time to get inky! Using the Distress inks and an ink blending tool, start with Spun Sugar and blend over the entire panel.  Using Tattered Rose, add ink to a few spots and Picked Raspberry to others.  You want variation in color and you want to be able to see each shade when it's finished.  As you blend, the embossed texture will come out as well as any torn edges on the tissue wrap we adhered.  Use light pressure and you'll avoid any blotchy or dark spots.
Step 4.  Make your shaker pouch.  Plug in the Fuse tool and let it heat up for 15 minutes or so.  Take the stamp pocket and lay it down over the back side if the panel.  I use a sharpie to mark where I need to make my seals.  You want to leave yourself enough of an edge to adhere the shaker pouch to the back of the panel.  I like to leave 1/4" border around so I have enough to adhere and you don't see any seams through the front.  Once you've measured where to put your seams, add them, making sure you leave an opening to add the shaker bits.  Be careful about adding too much; I like to have my pouch no more than 1/4" thick, but I try to keep it to 1/8".  I used Design Creative Bling "Raspberry Crush" and Little Things "Warm Golden Glow".  Add last seam to close the pouch.  I add foam tape around the shaker pouch to support the panel and make the top of the card even.  This also allows for the shaker bits to have room to move.  If it's too tight, they won't move much, which kind of defeats the purpose!
Step. 5.  I like to add a background paper.  I used DCWV Foiled Vellum in a tiny gold heart pattern, which I adhered with 1/8" scor-tape around the edges.  Time to assemble and finish off our masterpiece!
Step. 6  Attach the shaker pouch to the back of the panel so that all the seams are hidden from the front view.  I remove one short middle piece of backing paper from the foam tape and attach to my card base.  Once it's straight, I can remove the rest of the backing paper.  Add a few dots of liquid glue to the back of the rose gold heart and fit into the heart on the panel.  It should fit back in just life a puzzle piece.  Add glue to the back of the love die cut and arrange it over the banner on the heart.  I added Recollections "Bling on a Roll" in an antique golden shade to the top right and bottom left corners of the heart die cut and a few sequins from both packs to finish it off.

I had a lot of fun designing and creating this card, it's just soooo pretty!  I hope you give it a shot and put your own spin on it! Thanks for hanging out with me today and hope to see you again soon!

Feel free to ask questions and let me know what you think!

Much love,
Jasmine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...