Friday, January 29, 2016

Flutterby Hello

Hello there! Today's project has me looking forward to spring; warmth, sunshine and butterflies.  I used a few techniques that may be new, but are all easy to do.  We have in-laid die cutting in the butterflies, alcohol ink on the hello, an embossing folder used in 2 elements and ink blending.  Lets get started.

Supplies:
Neenah 110 lb Solar While cardstock
DCWV glitter cardstock
DCWV foiled cardstock
Ranger Glossy cardstock
Doodlebug black velvet cardstock
Simon Says Stamp Butterfly Drift die
Simon Says Stamp hello die
Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle die
Lawn Fawn Puffy Cloud die
WeRMemoryKeepers Next Gen 3D Embossing Folder "Gemstone"
Distress Inks in Squeezed Lemonade, Cracked Pistachio, and Lucky Clover
Delicata Golden Glitz Ink
Alcohol inks
Alcohol Blending Solution
Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue
Scor-tape, 1/2 and 1/8 inch

Step 1.  Take 2 or 3 colors of alcohol ink.  I used purple, blue and green for the hello.  Tim has a great tutorial for the technique on his blog here.  It may seem intimidating, but once you try it, you'll get the hang of it.  It really is simple and quick!  Once it's dry, pick an area you like to die your hello from and run it through your die cut machine.

Step 2. Starting with a 4.25 by 5.5 piece of Neenah cardstock, I start with Squeezed Lemonade and blend the ink across the top third, followed by Cracked Pistachio over the middle third and ending with Lucky Clover on the bottom third.  I like to overlap my colors a bit where they meet; this smooths out the transition between the colors and creates a new shade.  Distress Inks are designed to stay wet a bit longer so that they are easy to blend.  It may take a few minutes for it to dry, but set it aside to air dry.  I don't heat dry it because it can warp, and that can lead to problems with the die cuts later on.  While that's drying, we can do our other die cutting.

Step 3.  Die cut the silver foiled cardstock using the largest of the Stitched Rectangle dies.  It will measure 4.25 by 5.5 inches.  Place the rectangle into the embossing folder and run it through your die cutting machine.  With the glitter cardstock, I used the same rectangle die to die cut it so that the stitching detail would match the silver piece.  Then I used the puffy cloud die to give it that cute edge, roughly 1.5 inches in on the long edge.

Step 4.  Using the same gemstone embossing folder, run the colored piece through the die cutting machine.  Using an ink blending tool and the Delicata gold ink, lightly blend the gold ink over the colored piece, taking care to only touch the raised points on the embossing.  This will bring out the texture of the embossing and give it gorgeous sparkle.  

Step 5.  Using the black velvet cardstock and butterfly drift die, I ran those through the machine.  I got my outline and set the negative butterflies aside for another use.  With the colored piece, I lined up my die towards the right edge so that I could get 2 cards out of the same piece of cardstock.  In this card I only used the negative butterfly cuts.  Assemblage: I attached the black outline with Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue and let it dry for a couple minutes.  Then, I added a bit of glue to the back of each butterfly and fit it into the black outline, just like a puzzle.

Step 6.  Using a white card base, I adhered the silver foil cardstock the the front of my card base with 1/2 inch Scor-tape.  Lining the glitter piece up the the left edge of the card base, I adhered the glitter piece with 1/2 inch Scor-tape as well.

Step 7.  Adhere the hello die cut with Tombow liquid glue and our card is complete!

Thanks for hanging out with me today!  I hope you had fun and learned something new!  Feel free to ask questions and let me know what you think.

Much love,
Jasmine

1 comment:

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...