Wednesday, November 25, 2015

2015 Christmas Project Series Day 11: Snowman Selfie Shaker card

 Hello! Todays project is a fun and colorful Snowman Selfie Shaker card.  It features two products carried at Laura's Loft: Newtons Nook Frozen Friends and Holiday Wishes.  Another fun feature of this card is that if you temporarily attach the shaker, it can be removed and turned into an ornament by attaching a hanger to the back. 
Here's my supply list:
  • Simon Says Stamp Holiday Frames Die
  • Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Die - 3 3/8 by 4 5/8 inches
  • Crafters Companion Spectrum Noir paper
  • Simon Says Stamp Schoolhouse Red cardstock
  • Simon Says Stamp Kraft cardstock
  • Lawn Fawn Snowy Day 6 x 6 paper pad
  • Momento Tuxedo Black ink pad
  • ColorBox Mixed Media ink: "Jasmine" (White)
  • Hero Arts Shadow Ink: Tide Pool
  • Spectrum Noir Markers
  • Newtons Nook stamp sets "Frozen Friends" and "Holiday Wishes"
  • Avery Elle Window Sheets acetate
  • 3M Foam tape
  • tape runner
  • Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue
  • Doodlebug sequins
  • Prima chunky glitter
  • My Minds Eye "Joyous" and "Jubilee" enamel kits

I started by running the Holiday frames die with the red cardstock through my big shot.  Using the red die cut, I created a smaller stitched rectangle by die cutting the green piece twice.  The red piece served as a gauge to get the border even.  I trimmed the acetate to fit the window from the top and side edges to cover the bottom edge of the words.  I attached the acetate with Tombow liquid glue.  





I stamped the main image with Momento black.  A dye based ink is important to use when using alcohol markers so that the image lines don't smear or smudge.  I angled the snowmen so that they would come in from the side at an angle to replicate the selfie look.  The shades I used are: OR 1, 2; DR 3, 5, 7; GT 1, 2, 3; PP 1; Blender Pen and various colors for the ornaments.  I cut my foam tape in thirds and put two layers around the edges, being careful to butt up the edges of the tape to make sure none of the shaker bits escape. 


I like to run a powder tool around the edges of the foam tape before I take the release paper off so that the bits don't stick.  I added sequins, glitter and micro beads before removing the release paper.  Once your shaker bits are in, remove the release paper and making sure each piece is in the correct orientation, attach the focal image, pressing around the edges to seal. 





To add some detail to the card base, I stamped the snowflakes around the edge of the base in white pigment ink.  I stamped the hearts in Tide Pool ink.  If you want to make the shaker available for an ornament, use a removable adhesive to attach it to the card base.  If not, use tape runner.





To finish up, added a few enamel hearts and gems.  I really loved how this one turned out.  It's just adorable. 

Thanks for hanging out with me today! I hope you had fun and learned something new.  Feel free to ask any questions and let me know what you think. 

Much love and Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...