Monday, November 2, 2015

2015 Christmas Project Series Day 6: Do you wanna build a Snowman?


Welcome to Day 4 of my 2015 Christmas Project Series! This guy is just adorable and I love how the background turned out.
Here's my supply list:
Simon Says Stamp Build a Snowman stamp and die set
Simon Says Stamp inks in Blue Violet, Lavender, Hydrangea, Island Blue, Sea Glass, Maliblue, and Orange Peel
Tim Holtz mini ink blending tool and foam
Inkadinkadoo Masking Paper
Neenah Solar White 110 lb card stock
Lawn Fawn Stiched Cloud die set
Lawn Fawn ink in Lobster
Simon Says Stamp Stitched Slopes and Hills die set
Momento Tuxedo Black ink
Simon Says Stamp "Winter Flurries" sequins
Zots bling glue dots
Scor-tape -1/2 inch
Tape runner adhesive
3M foam tape
Wink of Stella Clear glitter pen

Step 1).  I started with an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of white cardstock.  Using my paper trimmer, I cut it in half long ways, giving me 2 4.25 by 11 inch pieces.  One piece was my card base, scored at 5.5 inches and folded in half.  The other, I cut at 5.5 inches.  One of those pieces I trimmed to 4 by 5.25 to make the card front.  I used the other piece later on in the project.

Step 2).  I used one of the Lawn Fawn cloud dies and 2 of the SSS slope dies to die cut a sheet of the masking paper into thirds.  Pay attention to the spacing because you'll be ink blending over the cut edge and you'll want a bit of space to avoid any unwanted smudges.  If it's not wide enough, just use a piece of scrap paper where you need it.





Step 3).  I started at the bottom of my cardstock, working my way up and changing the shape of each layer of ink.  Looking at the picture, the blue side is the positive side of the die and the purple is the negative side of the die.  Each time I moved the mask to add a layer of ink, I changed the color and used the negative side to mask the layer I just finished inking.  The picture on the right gives a better example of the process.
Step 4).  I stamped the snowman and his twig arms in Momento Tuxedo Black ink (separately) on the spare piece of cardstock.  I also added his eyes and smile in the same ink.  I stamped the scarf and mittens in SSS Maliblue ink, carrot nose in SSS Orange Peel and the bird in LF Lobster ink.  Using the matching die set, I die cut all the little acessories to the snowman and attached them using tape runner.  The mittens stamp in one piece, so I cut them apart to make two separate pieces.  The snow bank was cut using one of the SSS Stitched Slopes dies.  

Step 5).  Time to assemble.  I started by adding the snow bank to the inked panel with tape runner and trimmed the edges with scissors.  I then adhered the inked panel to the card base with Scor-tape, appling it along each edge with a strip diagonally across the middle.  Leaving the edge backing in place, I remove the middle backing and then reapplied it, moving the backing down an inch, leaving an inch of adhesive exposed.  This allows for even placement and adjustment before I permanently adhered it.  I pressed it down when I had it properly placed and pulled the rest of the backing strip out, completely adhering the middle.  Then I removed all the edge backing and smoothed it down.   I attached the nose to the face, mittens to the arms, arms to the body and scarf to the neck with tape runner.  To pop up the snowman, I used foam tape on the back of the snowman and under the mittens.  I also added foam tape to the bird and put him standing on Olaf's head.  (I couldn't help myself, that song keeps running through my head!)  I added the sequins with tiny glue dots and added a coat of Wink of Stella glitter pen to the scarf and mittens.  

Step 6.)  I must admit I almost forgot the sentiment. I stamped it in the same Momento black ink.  And we're done!

Thanks for joining me today for another project!  I didn't quite know how the background was going to turn out, but I was really pleased with the results.  If you're new to ink blending, that's ok.  Just remember to take your time and keep it light.  Keep light pressure on your inking tool and go slowly.  You'll learn and you'll be fabulous!  Please feel free to ask any questions and let me know what you think!

Much love!

2 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Such a cute idea and I love the colors! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...