Wednesday, November 18, 2015

2015 Christmas Project Series Day 9: Ribbon Doll by Infinity Engraving

 

Hello! Today's project is this lovely lady.  She is a Ribbon Doll from infinity-engraving.com and I've named her Scarlett.  She's made of deeply etched wood and comes with two chipboard pieces to attach the ribbons to make her skirt.  She comes blank, or plain, and just about any medium will work to color her with the exception of alcohol markers.  I'm pretty excited about this project, as it's my first project for Infinity Engraving as a member of their design team.



I started with Scarlett's hair.  She has a vintage Hollywood vibe about her, so I started with her hair using tones of gold, copper and auburn.  I used Fine Tec Watercolors, which have a ton of mica to provide such a high shimmer.  I painted her hair over the raw wood, not bothering to use any gesso and I think the brown tones of the wood serve to ground the colors of her hair.  Roses and pearls are the perfect touch for her glamorous look.  Using small paper roses, I colored two with Dylusions Post Box Red spray and Gold Color Shine spray by Heidi Swapp.  I left one white so that it would pop and attached them with hot glue.  I finished her hair with a tiny red and black feather from my stash and added a string of flat-back self-adhesive pearls.  She has a pearl earring and red jewel choker necklace.


Her skirt is red, burgundy, cream, white and gold.  I used a few seam binding ribbons from Prairie Bird Boutique on Etsy.  The rest are ribbons and laces from my stash.  I attached all the ribbons and laces in layers using hot glue.

For her dress and skin, I applied 3 coats of gesso.  Once dry, I used flesh toned paint for her skin and an irridescent gold watercolor  (same Fine Tec palette) over the gesso on her dress so that it looks white in one light and flashes gold when you move it.  SO PRETTY!

I just love how she turned out.

I hope you love this project as much as I do!  Please feel free to ask any questions and let me know what you think!

Much love!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...