Monday, November 30, 2015

Christmas Project Series Day 12: Great Lakes Lighthouse Birdhouse


Hello and welcome back! Today's project is a Lighthouse birdhouse for infinity-engraving.com.  I had my 7 year old nephew in mind when deciding how I wanted to decorate it, as it will be a Christmas present since he LOVES birds.  I used paint, texture paste, glitter, mica flakes and metal and resin embellishments to give it a life by the lakeshore vibe.
 I started by giving my lighthouse two coats of gesso, letting it dry between each coat.  I followed the gesso with a coat of Dylusions London Blue paint.  After that was completely dry, I added my texture.  Using White Sand Texture Paste by Prima, I added copper microfine glitter and mixed it in to add shimmer to the texture and add opacity when it dried.  I wanted it to look like wet sand drifted up from the waves.  Using the Flourish stencil by Tim Holtz, I added my texture paste thickly over ever other flat side of the lighthouse using a palette knife. 
I added more of the paste mixture around the lighthouse around the base to add to the wet sand drift look.  While it was still wet, I carefully added mica flakes to simulate rocks.  If you wanted this to look like an ocean lighthouse, you could add tiny seashells.  I'm a Michigander, which means the Great Lakes and freshwater, so plenty of sand and water, but no seashells.  I finished it simply with a metal winged-heart embellishment over the door and a resin butterfly resting on the top, both of of which are attached with hot glue.  To hang it, drill a chain into the top of the lighthouse.  I plan on laying a few strings and ribbons on the top to attract some birdie's to make a home come spring.

Thanks for hanging out with me today!  I hope you had fun and learned something new.  Feel free to ask any questions and let us know what you think.

Much love and Merry Christmas!
Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. I could not find this on the website. How can I order it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

He is Worthy Watercolor with Scrapbooking with M.E. Boutique

Todays project is my second Design Team card for Scrapbooking with M.E. Boutique and it's gorgeous while easy.  I started out by arran...