Thursday, April 6, 2017

Mixed Media Watercolor Frame with Infinity Engravings LLC

 Have I got a fun project for you!  With this project, I was making it for my 3 year old niece, so the design I had in mind was colorful, outdoorsy and exciting.  A few months back I saw a project using watercolor grounds and was very interested in what it was and what you could do with it.  It's a medium that allows you to turn surfaces such as metal, glass and chipboard into a surface that accepts watercolors.  I typically use acrylic paints in my mixed media projects, but am a much strong watercolor artist than acrylic artist so the watercolor grounds opened up a whole new avenue for me. 
 I applied 2 coats of watercolor grounds to the frame and to the fairy and letter die cuts.  I ended up using acrylic paint on the letters because the watercolor just wasn't standing out enough. 
 I painted both butterflies with acrylic paints as well and topped the smaller butterfly with glitter.
 I didn't care for how the bodies of the fairies turned out, so I painted over them with white acrylic paint and added glitter. 
 Here is the finished project and I think it's enchanting, especially for a little girl.  If you'd like to see how I created it, here is the link to the video tutorial on my YouTube channel and the supply list is below.
Paper Studio frame
Infinity Engraving die cuts
Daniel Smith Watercolor Grounds
Daniel Smith Watercolors
Dylusions Acrylic Paints
  • Crush Grape
  • Vibrant Turquoise
  • White Linen
Nuvo Glimmer Paste
  • Tanzanite Lavender
  • Amethyst Purple
  • Peridot Green
  • Moonstone (Small butterfly, fairy bodies, and letters)
28 Lilac Lane
  • Pretty Princess
  • Minty Fresh
  • On Lilac Lane
TH Mini Blossom Stencil
Dina Wakely Matte Medium

Thanks for hanging out with me for a bit and I'll catch you later!  As always, I'm happy to answer questions and love to know how you like it.

Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foiled Peony with Ink Blending and Dry Embossing

 Full disclosure: I did not set out to make this card.  It was actually an experiment that went really right!  I used the Peony Coverplate...