Saturday, October 31, 2015

2015 Christmas Project Series Day 5: Snow much love!


Welcome! Today's project is a shaker card done two ways, featuring products available at Laura's Loft.  Here's a list of my supplies:
  • Strathmore 140 lb Coldpress Watercolor paper
  • Neenah Solar White 110 lb cardstock
  • Crafter's Companion Spectrum Noir cardstock
  • DCWV silver and ice blue glitter paper
  • Impression Obsession large circle shaker pouch
  • Momento Tuxedo Black ink
  • Spectrum Noir Markers: BP 1 ,2, 6; OR 1; LG 3, 4; IG 1, 2, 4
  • Newtons Nook stamp set: Frozen Friends
  • Doodlebug sequins
  • Snowflake sequins
  • Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle, Stitched Circle, Scripty Joy and Scalloped Circle dies
  • Stick- It Adhesive sheets
  • White fun foam
  • 1/2 inch Scor-tape
  • Simon Says Stamp Falling Snow stencil
  • Simon Says Stamp Cotton Candy Cardstock
  • Aleene's Glitter Snow embossing paste
  • Newtons Nook Holiday Wishes and Frozen Friends stamp sets
  • Stampin Up Sheltering Tree stamp set
  • Inkadinkadoo Masking Paper
  • Stampin' Up White glitter paper
  • DCWV green glitter paper
  • Spectrum Noir Markers: IG 1, 2; PL 1, 2; LG 3, 4; CG 4







For the blue card: the background piece was cut using the largest of the Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle die set from a larger piece of watercolor paper that I colored with spray inks;  I've linked that technique post here.  It was cut down to 4.25 by 5.5 inches, a standard A2 card size.
 For the focal image, I used Crafters Companion SN cardstock because it's made to work with alcohol markers.  I stamped my snow couple image from Newtons Nook Frozen Friends in Momento Tuxedo Black ink.  When working with alcohol markers, it's important to use a dye based ink for your stamped images so that it doesn't bleed or smudge when you color.  I used IG 1, 2 and 4 for the shadows on my snow people and the ground underneath them, OR 1 on their carrot noses, LG 3 and 4 on the green scarf and BP 1, 2 and 6 on the pink scarf with just a touch of BP 1 for the blush.  For the focal image background, I used TB 1, 2, 4 and 5.  I had to color the background in layers and take my time blending so that I achieved a smooth transition from light to dark.  I stamped the snowflakes last.
 Using the second largest of the scalloped circle dies, I cut out the focal image as it closely matched the size of the shaker pouch, roughly 3.5 inches.  I added my shaker bits, sequins and larger glitter, to the middle of the focal image.  The shaker pouches are self-adhesive, so I peeled off about an inch of the liner and stuck it down to the edge of my die cut focal piece to make sure I had it properly placed, then removed the rest and pressed along the edges to seal.  The silver glitter paper layer was die cut using the largest of the stitched circle dies, about 4 inches.  The joy was cut from ice blue glitter paper and adhered last.

Assembly: On a white Neenah card base (4.25 by 11 and scored at 5.5 inches to make a top folding card base), I adhered the blue water-colored piece using Scor-tape.  I attached the shaker piece to the silver circle with Scor-tape as well, then mounted the shaker to the blue topped card-base.  Lastly, I adhered the joy die cut with liquid adhesive and added a matching blue gem for the dot over the j.

The pink card has masking and less coloring.  We also get to have fun with embossing paste.  My cardbase is SSS Cotton Candy cardstock cut 4.25 by 11 inches and scored at 5.5 inches to make a top folding card.  Using the SSS Falling Snow stencil, I laid it down with the largest snow dots at the top.  I taped down my stencil with post-it tape; you'll want to use a tape that won't tear the paper.  Using a palette knife and Aleenes Glitter Snow embossing paste, I smoothed the paste over the stencil, making sure I had an even layer and removing any excess.  Remove and wash the stencil and knife immediately or it will ruin both as it wont come off if it dries on there.  I set my cardbase aside to dry while I worked on my focal image.
  I did three layers of stamping and masking here.  The first image to stamp is the one you want in front.  I started with my snow people from NN Frozen Friends, stamping them with Momento Tuxedo Black ink on my cardstock and again on the white side of the masking paper.  Cut out the snow people mask and placed it carefully over the image.  Using the hanging stocking image from NN Holiday Wishes, I stamped it so that it would look like it was hanging from the trees over their heads and stamped it again on masking paper.  I cut out the stockings and applied the mask over the stamped stocking image.  The third image I stamped was the tree from Stampin Up's Sheltering Tree set, also in Momento Tuxedo Black ink.  With the mask over the snow people still in place, I stamped a few presents from the Holiday Wishes set so that the presents would be behind the couple.  Then I was ready to remove all my masks and color in the shadows: IG 1 and 2, noses: OR 1, scarves: LG 3,4 and PL 1, and 2, stockings and presents, both of which were the same pinks and greens on the scarves.
  The shaker and rest of card were assembled the same way as the blue card with the exception of the joy die cut.  On the pink card, I die cut the joy out of white fun foam and green glitter paper.  I cut out a 2 by 3 inch piece of white fun foam and added a layer of Stick-It adhesive to each side so that I would have a foam sticker.  I removed the liner one letter at a time and carefully added the joy die cut over the foam.  Then I removed the back liner and attached it to the assembled card.  Done!

If you don't have Aleene's paste, just use a white paste and add glitter to it before you apply it or apply it and sprinkle glitter over it before it dries.  Mixing the glitter into the paste ensures it wont fall off, but either way works.

I hope you enjoyed this post and learned something new! Thanks for hanging out with me and be sure to stop by Laura's shop for more inspiration and tempting crafty goodness!  Feel free to ask any questions and let me know what you think.  See you later!

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...