Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Whoo's your feather?





Hey everyone! Today I have something a bit different in that it involves no stamping.  This style is a great way to use up scraps of paper, especially from paper packs or collections.  I cannot claim the invention of this idea; I saw it on a YouTube video ages ago, so of course I couldn't find it again when I hunted for it.

I just love the colors and patterns in these papers which are the Friendly Forest collection by Doodlebug in the 6x6 size.

Lets start with the papers.  Make sure you have strips long enough to cover the size of your card front.  You'll need to have varying widths of your strips and make sure you vary how you lay them down so that there isn't a pattern.  I added in a few strips of glitter paper in colors that complimented the colors in the rest of my papers.
1. Start by applying adhesive all across the entire card front.  I use tape runner.
2. Starting the the middle of the card, apply the longest strip, paying attention to the pattern so that things are right side up if necessary.
3. In my card, I used a die to finish the edges and give the stitched detail.  I trimmed off any long ends of the paper strips and ran it through my big shot using the second largest in Lawn Fawn's stitched rectangle die set.
4.  Mount the piece on a standard top folding card base.  I use Neenah Solar White 110 lb card stock.
5.  I added a strip of gold glitter paper across the lower third of the card for visual interest and to give the owl somewhere to sit.
6.  Using Lawn Fawn's Scripty Thanks die, I ran it through my big shot on a scrap of purple cardstock.  I adhered the thanks die cut over the glitter strip to make it stand out.
7.  Using foam dots, I added my owl, which is also from Doodlebug.
8.  For a finishing touch, added a few Doodlebug enamel dots.

I hope you try this technique out as it's a quick and easy way to make cute cards while using up scraps and making the most out of your supplies.

Come back soon as I'll be starting a Christmas card series on Saturday 10-25-15!  Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions.

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Handmade Christmas Series 2018: Day 1 Watercolors and EH Mondo Holly 2 ways

Here's an exciting sale for everyone!  ellenhutson.com is having a 20% off sale on all dies with the code above.  I&...